I Am A Woman, Bold and Free

Born into a web of contradictions and hypocrisy
I struggle to fit in but even more to stand out.
I am a woman, bold and free
Yet longing for liberation from you, your rustic notions and all that lot. 

You talk about equality of sexes and yet
You use the term ‘weaker sex’ to mention my kind.
You speak for hours about feminism but somehow forget
It all when the time comes and then cowardly you lurk behind.

You urge me to do what I feel like but brusquely
You lay out a long list of do’s and don’ts
You are incomprehensible and so is your audacity
Be free but on terms set by you? Oh no, I won't! 

It isn't easy to walk around feeling your stare from behind
I could be fifteen or fifty 
And you'd still ogle in ways relentless and unkind
I long to walk unperturbed for once, don't you see? 

You blabber on about modest clothing. You and your lies!
I could be wearing a burqa
And you’d still strip me naked with your bare eyes
Protective gaze, you call it. I know it's lust in disguise.

I could put on a mini skirt, if I choose, and invite
Silent judgment in your lingering stares
Whore, slut and tags of the like
And other lethal remarks in your endless whispers.

Life in this inferno, how should I survive
When even Gods abandon me for 7 days every month?
To stay unbruised, to somehow stay alive
Is my daily strife and it’ll never end.

But if one day I should fall, I know you won’t be vile
I know you will, in humanity’s name
Honour me with a black dot on your virtual profile
Write solemn prayers, light candles and share my pain.

And a few days later, you will, in my honour
Preach those lessons to every other woman you know
Moral code, guidelines for safety- to help her survive better
And your judgment and contempt will never end somehow.

 I am a woman, bold and free
Entitled to rights as you are, for I'm no different from you
I am a human, with desires and a will to be
I hope one day you will learn it too.


Picture Courtesy- The brilliant artist (and my great friend), Rajat S Kumar. (https://www.facebook.com/rajats.kumar.7?fref=ts)

Comments

  1. Love this! You just spoke out for so many women out there in the form of a very well written poem!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

മുറ്റത്തെ ചക്കരമാവിൻ ചുവട്ടിലെ ഓർമ്മകൾ

Windows of Joy

Dual Lives