Keep Calm and Be Single



I'm young, crazy and have amazing friends. And I couldn’t be more thankful for everything life has gifted me with. Oh, did I mention the awesomest (I know there’s no such word as awesomest, but I just couldn’t resist. Okay, you know what? If you’re that offended, I’m sorry- the most awesome-) thing? I’m frigging single. So that’s me- young, crazy and single, enjoying my life with my amazing friends. Over the ages, I’ve taught myself to see my bachelorette life as something that I've chosen for myself as opposed to something that is imposed on me. Well, in my case there’s little difference between my own choice and this imposition that I speak of. Why, you ask? Because, the imposition is from my own side and not from anybody else’s. It’s more of a self written code, if I may say so. No boyfriends, no troubles.

Of course, I don’t get the awesome stuff that girls with boyfriends have. I have to pay for my movies, bus and taxi rides, lunch and dinner and on goes the endless list. It’s an undeniable fact. But, I have something that they don’t have. I have freedom. I don’t need anyone else’s approval to decide what to wear, where to go, what I should do on a particular day etc. More importantly, I can utilize my phone balance in a profitable manner by talking with everyone I want and not have all of it reserved for just one person. Also, I won’t have to compromise with my friends on any awesome holiday plans they make as I don’t have a boyfriend to plan ‘exciting (read, lame) romantic get aways’ with.

In short, boundless freedom and fun are what I have with me, thanks to my ‘self imposed code’ of no boyfriends, no trouble. I can always do whatever the hell I want. There’s no special guy I should ask opinions on. Better yet, there’s no guy dictating me as to which guys I should and should not talk to. Hard to believe, isn’t it? But there’re boyfriends who’re that possessive about their girlfriends. Meh, why should I care about them at all? I, like any other bachelorette live a trouble-free life with no emo-dramas. Relationships are all (at least the ones I’ve seen are) messy and consisting of silly and stupid fights, so much of crying, possessiveness, nagging etc. Who needs all that? In my best friend’s words, ‘no pretence, no worries, none to impress. It’s pure life’. Couldn’t agree more!

Anyone who’s like me will agree with all my incredible points on the merits of single life. But who’re we kidding? We all secretly hope we had a special one. Come on, don’t deny it. Even when you reject guys heartlessly, even when you dismiss love stories as humbug, you know you want it all one day. Sometimes it’s with such a heavy heart that you tell yourself ‘He may be the guy you deserve, but the not the one you need right now’ (Yes, dialogue courtesy- The Dark Knight).

The sentimental you burst out sometimes when you watch a romantic film or read a tragic love story or worse, when you just decide to look up at the heavens and think about life. And once you get sentimental, there’s no stopping it (well, until you decide to be awesome again, in Barney Stinson’s words). So, somewhere in between the abundance of freedom and fun, there lies a volcano of frustration. For me, sometimes when I see those happily-in-love couples flaunting their love in brilliant ‘public displays of affection’, this volcano of frustration erupts. From my talks with few of my best friends who’re single, I have come to the conclusion that the same happens with them too in similar situations. It’s not that I am a conservative pig who doesn’t approve of all this new generation romantic drama. I’m of your age too. It’s just that it all makes me wonder about the inevitable and unanswerable question- where’s my Jack?

So we wait, you and I. We wait for our luck at romance which is nowhere near now. We dream endlessly of whomever we like and mentally date celebrities. Let no one tell us it’s lame. Let no one tell us ‘it’s time you find a guy’. Because today we are young, crazy and single. And so we wait, dream and love unconditionally without imposing anything on anyone. 



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

മുറ്റത്തെ ചക്കരമാവിൻ ചുവട്ടിലെ ഓർമ്മകൾ

Windows of Joy

Dual Lives