The Insomniac Waits

Eyes are closed but mind is up.
Thoughts rattle as brain refuses to sleep
Fatigued, the body lies still, too numb to even weep
Trying to shut down the chambers of mind. Trying. Trying.

Restless brain digs up scars from their graves
Half of it is in stupor. The other half wide awake.
I move from side to side, desperately needing a break.
Trying to channel my thoughts to sleep. Trying. Only trying.

The more I try, the more I get sucked into it
A spiralling chasm of dizzying thoughts
Non-sensical, illogical but yet of mesmerising sorts.  
I shut one only to get enwrapped in another. Trying to sleep. Still trying.

I’m asleep, deep dreaming; yet I am awake.
I lie on bed; calm and still, and yet my head’s splitting
Hours I count as thoughts sprout. New patterns in the knitting.
I quit the act and gaze at the night sky. Not trying anymore.

And all at once, I hear no more voices from within
Perhaps the breeze from outside was all they craved?
All is calm, all is calm, all but my brain, still fazed. 
To the lullaby of silence, I close my eyes. Finally smiling.

Slowly I drip into a dream, I am at peace. But-
I still am awake and aware. And the dream is just thoughts, weary and bizarre.
Ah! So the wait for sleep continues. Insomniac’s nightmare.
Still moving restlessly, still counting hours, still battling thoughts. Still trying.

The insomniac in me waits. But for what? I know no more.
In silence and solitude I wait
I see no God or Ghost at an hour this late.
Even as the earthly beings live and die in dreams, the insomniac waits. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

മുറ്റത്തെ ചക്കരമാവിൻ ചുവട്ടിലെ ഓർമ്മകൾ

Windows of Joy

Dual Lives